Dental implants are a permanent tooth replacement option that is attached to your jawbone and capped with a natural-looking replacement tooth.
Within recent decades, this option has become so popular that millions of patients have tried dental implants and many more are choosing this amazing treatment each year. But why is this tooth replacement method so popular? Continue reading to learn more about dental implants from Tweed Dental Care, and what makes them so special.
The Parts Of A Dental Implant
The Fixture. This is the root piece for the dental implant and works in the same way as a fence post supports a fence. This piece is usually made of titanium, which ensures that bone tissues will grow into and around the root, making it even stronger.
The Abutment. This is the middle piece of your new tooth, and it extends into the gum tissue to give your replacement tooth something to attach to.
The Crown. This is the last piece of the implant and is what people will see when you smile. To look as natural as possible, the crown is usually made of porcelain or a similar material that will match the color and texture of your real teeth.
8 Reasons to Consider Dental Implants
- Improve your appearance - Missing or damaged teeth can cause you to look old, sunken, and prematurely aged. But filling in those empty spaces with dental implants can give you a brighter, younger, more attractive smile!
- Increase your self-confidence - Patients with missing or damaged teeth often suffer from lower self-confidence and higher rates of depression and anxiety. When dental implants are placed, patients can smile confidently again, and forget about being anxious or depressed.
- Get better tooth stability - Removable dentures can move, pinch, or cause sores. Dental implants are permanently implanted into bone, which ensures you will never suffer from pinching, slipping, or movement again
- Enhance your tooth functionality - Missing teeth can prevent normal biting, chewing, and speaking. Dentures provide only basic function. However, patients with dental implants report they are able to eat, chew, and speak normally after their procedure.
- Make maintenance easier - Other options require special cleaning products and additional time with dental hygiene. With dental implants, no additional maintenance is necessary aside from regular brushing, flossing, and routine dental check-ups and cleanings.
- Take advantage of improved durability - Options like dentures and bridges only last for 5 to 10 years. However, dental implants can last for many decades if cared for properly.
- Improve your overall health - Recent studies have shown that poor dental hygiene is linked with serious health issues, like diabetes, high blood pressure, Alzheimer’s, osteoporosis, low birth weight, cardiovascular problems, and many other dangerous health issues. Dental implants give you back a healthy smile while reducing or eliminating the risks for these problems.
- Strengthen your bite.
- When patients don’t have all their teeth, they often stop chewing in that area of their mouth. This allows the muscles on the opposite side to weaken and atrophy with disuse. Over time, the jawbone can deteriorate as well. Dental implants prevent these problems by restoring healthy chewing function so you can get back to eating whole apples, corn on the cob, and other foods that you love.